We’ve been treated to a number of bugs this past week and as a result the crafting phenomenon of my life has largely remained untouched.
In the past two days nearly two feet of snow has fallen and the banks keep piling up, feeling like the walls are really closing in.
Anyways onto Week 4 of my 52 week project. This week my theme was fish. I’ve seen this drawstring fish bag on Pinterest that I’ve wanted to try for some time. And now it finally happened!
The fabric I used were just pieces from my bins. The outside is a small blue and white checker cotton, the eye and mouth piece are a black denim. I lined it with white cotton and the drawstrings are from a grey knit.
I drew the pattern myself and the only thing I will change about the next bag is to move the eye back towards the tail a tad.
It would be fun to make a few in bright colors and some funky patterns. Do you have any recommendations for some fabric?
Most importantly it’s kid approved!
This summer I am revamping my trailer so that I can sell souvenirs to the tourist that frequent our town (more on this later). I have been making some keychains and decided to make up some fish ones since they are such a big part of Alaska. I hand drew patterns and cut these from leather scraps. I then used modge-podge to put them together and painted unique designs on them with white chalk paint.
Although I haven’t always been able to complete each project within a weeks time I have really been enjoying this 52 week thing.
Stay tuned for next week and all the others to follow.
This week has been a little hectic as I’m getting a little cabin fever and signing on to do another project. Together with one of my friends we have decided to do a booth at a local craft fair in April. All of these projects feel like a good way to keep my brain working creatively as well as providing a good outlet for cabin fever.
For the theme I decided to try out a few different crafts. First I completed this set of three drawstring bags that I have had cut out forever! These bags would hold soap, hair accessories and be a great way to organize if you are traveling.
The next item I made were these tye-dye scrunchies. Confession: I’ve never been a scrunchie person, I’ve thought they look ugly. But the only scrunchies they made that I remember where ugly ones back in the late 90s or something. Anyways I tried one and I love how they feel in my hair and that it doesn’t feel like it’s pulling the hair out of my scalp. Cause let’s face it I got a lot going on and my husband totally rocks the non-existent hair deal and I don’t want to compete with that. A few of these are available for sale in my Etsy shop here.
The last item I made, well making, are these little mountain bracelets. They are made from real blue leather and topped with a little white chalk paint I have yet to finish them because I need to get to the store to grab some clasps.
Anyone else doing a 52 week project?
The funnest part about doing a 52 week project is putting projects on there that have been pinned on your Pinterest boards for years or months.
Once when scrolling thru Pinterest I came upon a small clutch or coin purse with what looked like to be leather scallops and thought it would be a wonderful way to use up my small leather scraps. I can no longer find that pin, so I can’t show you the original inspiration.
The size of the clutch is,(inchesxinches) and is made from green suede. Suede can be tough to sew with as it moves around more than leather does. I lined it with white cotton. All of the leather used for the scallops are cut from leather jackets that were picked up at thrift stores for $5-$10 a piece.
This was a challenging and fun project for week two. I am thinking about making another one up to put for sale in my Etsy shop, what do you think?
I have never done a 365 day or 52 week project despite thinking the idea was pretty neat. Now with a growing Pinterest page and pins that never seem to happen I decided to embark on a 52 week project to get al those projects done that I have thought about for so long.
I drew up my list for every week, drawing some ideas from Pinterest and others from life. I put in a mixture of activities, themes, colors and objects.
For the first week I chose baby details. All those precious little features on babies that seem to grow out way to fast. On our littles ones it’s a button nose, wrinkled knees and long toes.
I put together a few collages in hopes that one day I will blow them up into 16×20 prints
to hang in my nursery that I currently do not have 😝.
Plans for Oliver’s Meadow
Unfortunately we did not meet our goal for our Kickstarter Campaign to fund the remaining of the illustrations process for our children’s book. However, we still believe in our project and are still passionate about getting it from words in a notebook to an 8×10 hardcover book that you can read to your children in your home.
We will still self publish through Ingram Sparks and our goal is for every three books sold we will donate a book to a parent who has lost a baby or infant in hopes that they would find comfort in our story.
We also would like to spread awareness and donate copies of the book to hospitals for them to put in care packages that they gift to families who have experienced loss.
We will continue to post on our Instagram and Facebook pages and will update you all with the date of our intended release for the book, so stay tuned.
Lastly, I would like to thank all of you who pledged to our campaign, shared our story and believed in our project, it really means the world to us and it is amazing to see how far a project can go with help and support from others.
Hope you all had a beautiful, magical holiday season and remembered those who have angels up in heaven.